Our solicitors are some of the country’s leading specialists in education law and children’s rights. We have a national reputation for bringing legal challenges that not only make a positive difference to disabled children and their families but affect real change within the education system.
Special Educational Needs
We are experts in special educational needs law and our team has a strong track record for securing positive outcomes for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (“SEND”).
We provide advice, assistance and legal representation on all aspects of SEND law including:
- Securing an Education Health and Care (“EHC”) needs assessment
- Securing an EHC Plan
- Draft EHC Plan reviews
- Choosing and securing a school placement
- Challenging the contents of an EHC Plan
- Preparing for and attending annual reviews
- Challenging cease to maintain decisions
- Transfer between different local authority areas or legal jurisdictions
- Preparing for adulthood
- Support and attendance at mediation
- Appeals to the First Tier Tribunal (Special Educational Needs and Disability) including further appeals to the Upper Tribunal
- Claims for disability discrimination, for example, following a fixed or permanent exclusion or failure to make a reasonable adjustment.
Our additional knowledge and experience in health and social care law ensures we are able to provide a holistic service to achieve the very best outcomes for our clients.
We provide clear and transparent pricing structures and fee estimates including fixed fees where appropriate.
Our solicitors have acted in many of the leading education judicial reviews over the last decade. We have particular expertise in bringing strategic legal challenges and work closely with charities and campaign groups.
We are also able to provide advice and assistance with challenges against individual decisions of public bodies such as local authorities. In an education context this might include:
- Failures to provide education
- Failures to provide the special educational provision set out in a child’s Education, Health and Care Plan
- Provision of school transport
- Unlawful use of restraint, seclusion or other restrictive practices
- Unlawful exclusions and off-rolling
We offer a range of funding options for these cases including fixed fees where appropriate.
Schools and Colleges
Our solicitors have significant expertise in providing advice and representation to schools and colleges on all aspects of education law including:
- Special Educational Needs and Disability
- School attendance
- Data Protection
- Duties under the Equality Act 2010
We are passionate about working with schools and colleges that share our values. We support our clients to understand their legal duties and responsibilities. We seek to achieve positive outcomes where litigation is always a last resort.
We understand the pressures that schools face and that sometimes it is necessary to challenge decisions made by other public bodies. Our team has significant experience in representing schools in challenges against OFSTED, the Department of Education, and local authorities. Including through Judicial Review.
We work in close partnership with our clients to provide clear advice on their legal options and costs, to enable them to take a strategic decision in the interests of the school and its pupils.
Committed to supporting our clients, we also offer bespoke training to all our school and college clients. Please contact us for further information.
With all areas of education law there are often strict time limits for bringing a legal challenge. We always advise clients to seek initial legal advice as early as possible to ensure that you understand the time limits that might apply to any claim should it be necessary.
Want to contact us?
If you would like further information about the services we provide or to contact us about a case, we’re here.